January 17-30, 2013
from $7635 + air
Thomas P. Gohagan
Join us for this spectacular 14-day journey featuring a nine-night cruise to Antarctica, Earth’s last frontier. Cruise aboard the exclusively chartered, intimate M.S. L’Austral. Experience the White Continent in its unspoiled state—fantastically shaped icebergs, turquoise glaciers, bustling penguin rookeries and breaching whales—during the lingering light of the austral summer. Accompanied by the ship’s expert expedition team of naturalists, board sturdy Zodiac craft for excursions ashore and observe the antics of Antarctica’s abundant wildlife—penguins and seals, especially, are unafraid of human visitors. The expedition team will provide a series of enriching lectures on this untouched wilderness. Also, spend two nights in a deluxe hotel in Buenos Aires, including a cultural tour of this vibrant capital. Extend your journey with the exclusive three-night Iguazú Falls Post-Program Option.
ITINERARY BROCHURE MAP OF PORTS
ACTIVITY LEVEL 3 - More demanding than level 2. Good health is required. Intended for active people who are comfortable participating in at least four hours of walking and up to six hours of activity a day. Trip activities will be at a moderate intensity at a more vigorous pace and may include walking on uneven and difficult terrain, slopes and up to 6 flights of stairs.
ALUMNI HOST - To be determined.
- Fly from Buenos Aires to rustic Ushuaia, the world's southernmost city and the gateway to Antarctica.
- Cross the legendary Drake Passage with the expedition team of naturalists who will present insightful lectures to prepare you for your first landing in Antarctica.
- Observe the marine wildlife in Paradise Bay including humpback whales, crabeater seals and cape petrels.
- Make your first "continental landing" in Antarctica at Neko Harbor, where you will find yourself surrounded by soaring glaciers and snow-covered mountains.
- At Petermann Island, the southernmost point of your journey, you will observe its thriving rookeries of Adélie and gentoo penguins and blue-eyed shags.
- Watch for endangered albatross and the many different species of petrels as you cruise across the Antarctic Convergence and past Cape horn, the most southerly point of South America.
- Two nights stay in Buenos Aires, Argentina in the deluxe Marriott Plaza Hotel, with breakfast each morning.
- Welcome reception
- City tour of Buenos Aires featuring the popular neighborhoods of Palermo, Plaza de Mayo, La Boca, Puerto Madero, San Telmo and the historic Recoleta Cemetery.
- Nine night cruise round trip
- Spacious deluxe outside accommodations with private bathroom.
- Captain's welcome and farewell receptions
- All meals - continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and late-evening snack served daily in single, unassigned seating.
- Complimentary house wine, bear, soft drinks, mineral water, coffee, and tea are included with lunch and dinner.
- Exploration by Zodiac landing craft, accompanied by an expert naturalist from the expedition team.
- Landings ashore to explore Antarctica's diverse wildlife habitats, including major penguin rookeries.
- Series of lectures by the naturalists on the expedition team about local wildlife and landscapes.
- Souvenir polar-grade red parka.
- All excursions as outlined in the itinerary, with experiences local guides and expedition team.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers.
- Hospitality desk in the hotel and aboard ship.
- Experienced Travel Directors to accompany you throughout the travel program.
- Travel document wallet, name badge and pre-departure information.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Half Moon Island
*All prices are per person, based on double occupancy. Optional shore excursions are not included. Dates, itineraries, and prices are subject to change.
To inquire about this tour, please contact Debbie Vargo at 614-292-2372
ext. 1 or toll-free in the U.S. at 800-852-8687.